These 2 questions regularly come up for all my 1-1 coaching clients:
Is it really OK to…….?
Can I really…….?
What they usually mean when they ask this question is this:
There’s this thing I’d really like to do, but I’m not sure I’m allowed.
I’m not sure it’s accepted. I’m not sure people won’t burn me at the stake if I do this or say that.
And the core of my answer is always the same:
You’re allowed. You have full permission.
You might struggle with a similar question right now.
So here’s your permission slip for it. You’re perfectly allowed to do the following (and more!).
1. Run your business any which way you like.
(Is it legal? Moral & ethical? No one gets killed or robbed in the process? Go for it!)
2. Do what you love AND get paid handsomely for it.
(You don’t have to suffer in exchange for your income.) (REALLY.)
3. Mess up and fuck up.
(It’s impossible to never make mistakes. Striving for perfection is the perfect way to paralyze yourself. So do what you have to do, and don’t care about mistakes. Correct them afterwards if necessary and move on.)
4. Honor and follow your true dreams and desires.
(Even when others don’t get it. Don’t like it. Or feel threatened by it. And even when you don’t get it yourself or wonder who the hell you think you are to dream this big. Who the hell do you think are you to deny yourself your true dreams?!)
5. Work with your ideal clients ONLY.
(Why work with people you don’t like or don’t want to work with? That doesn’t serve you NOR them.)
6. Create your own rules and screw the ones that aren’t in alignment with your soul and personality. (
Yes, that includes the ‘rules’, steps & strategies the most famous and successful business gurus preach.)
7. Dismiss advice from people who mean well, but don’t know what they’re talking about.
(Yes. That might include your family and friends.)
8. Be unapologetic about who you are, what you want, what you need, what you believe in, and what you do. (
Please. Embrace yourself. Accept yourself. Share your brilliance. Don’t hold back. Shine bright, baby!)
9. Say NO to requests and invitations that don’t excite you.
(Don’t forget: saying YES to others when you don’t want to, is saying NO to yourself.)
10. Stop delivering programs & services that bore you to death.
(Even if your clients are still asking for it. Can you find a way to give them what they want that feels 100% great to you? Continue. If not: stop & move on.)
11. Run your business on YOUR terms.
(If you don’t: whose terms are you working on then?) (I know. It’s a variation of things I mentioned before. But this is the one I have to remind my clients of most often.)
12. Charge whatever price you choose.
(No, you don’t have a moral obligation to make your expertise & time available to every single person on the planet. Yes, it’s OK if not everyone can afford your most expensive service or 1-1 time.)
13. Do things just for the fun of it.
(It’s your life we’re talking about here. You want to enjoy that, right? So do things just for fun. Play. Loosen up. Don’t be so serious all the time. Especially around marketing and sales. The more fun you have with that, the better your results will be.)
© 2016 Brigitte van Tuijl
P.S.: Want more content, inspiration & support to be true to YOU in everything you do, and build your entire business around YOU?
It’s perfect for you!