It’s 8PM when I write this. I had dinner but no wine yet (aahhh!!!) because…I still have to write 30 minutes on my book.
Do I feel like writing?
But I know what happens if I wait until I feel like it: absolutely jack shit.
For all kinds of reasons this book is not finished yet, even though I wrote the first draft back in 2011.
But now, I am ALL IN.
I committed myself to writing 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week.
Longer than 30 minutes is OK, less is NOT. More than 5 days is OK, less is NOT.
‘Cause I know that this book will never see the light of day if I don’t. sit. my. ass. down. and. WRITE.
Plus: if you make a promise to yourself, and you break it (which I’m pretty good at AND was sorta OK with until recently), you undermine yourself HUGELY.
But only recently I realized how incredibly undermining this really is:
- It takes a shitload of energy to get fired up, get started, stop, lose momentum, and get fired up from scratch again a couple of weeks later;
- Your results get worse (if you get any results at all) if you don’t do the things you KNOW you have to do to achieve your goal(s);
- If you say you’re gonna do something and then don’t, others start taking you less seriously;
- And even worse: YOU start taking YOURSELF less seriously – you give yourself less reason to trust yourself, ‘cause hey, even though you SAY you’ll do something, doesn’t mean it WILL get done. This slowly but surely undermines your faith and trust in yourself. This makes it harder to start something scary or new. And it makes it harder to trust yourself in general, period;
- It lowers your self-esteem and how you feel and think about yourself.
If you DO honor your commitments, no matter what, you feel soooooo much better.
It saves you time and energy. You don’t get mad at yourself or think less of yourself for not doing what you set out to do anymore.
You get better results because you actually do the work.
You feel accomplished and fulfilled at the end of the day.
You make the most of your momentum.
It becomes easier and easier to just DO things and take action, instead of endlessly negotiating with yourself.
Even though I accomplished a lot over the years, there have also been a lot of things I HAVEN’T done.
Despite promising myself that I would. And starting something. And in the end, not following through.
I’m done with that.
I’m sick and tired of it.
Now, I deeply feel it’s a waste of my time. A waste of my life.
If I truly want something and I SAY I’m all in, I’m all in. And I do the work. NO MATTER WHAT.
Not on just some things I promise myself, but on EVERYTHING I commit to.
‘Cause in the end, you either want something, or you don’t.
You do what it takes, or you don’t.
And you get your desired result, or you don’t.
There is no middle ground.
It’s 8.37 PM.
I had dinner, but no wine yet (AAAAA!!!!)
I’ll open the bottle and have my first glass in exactly 30 minutes.
After I worked on my book.
How about your commitment? Do you honor the promises you make yourself? Are you all in to achieve the things you truly want?
Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you 🙂