So now what? How do you prevent yourself from constantly worrying about what others are doing and comparing yourself to them? (Which usually leaves you feeling insecure about yourself.)
How do you show your potential clients that you’re their go-to-person?
How do you stand out from that incredibly overcrowded crowd?
Without going insane, or sacrificing your values or something else you hold dear?
The answer is simple:
To be totally true to YOU in every aspect of your business:
In your content. Your marketing. The way you deliver whatever it is you do. And the way you run and grow your business.
Because there’s no one else who’s just like you.
“Today you are You, that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” ~ Dr. Seuss
If you let that REAL you shine through in everything you do (sorry – just couldn’t say it without rhyming), you’re automatically unique.
And since your business is a reflection of YOU, this automatically makes your business unique.
And a unique business is a business that stands out.
In theory: yes!
In practice: hell no!
Because most of us picked up a lot of bullshit along the way:
- That who we truly are is not good enough;
- That there are sides of ourselves that we should hide, either in general or in business (because others won’t get it / won’t want to become our clients / will think we’re weird or strange or stupid or dumb / will hate us / will criticize us / …..fill in your own reasons for hiding parts of who you are);
- That there are rules you have to follow and recipes that work and you just gotta follow those ’cause if you don’t it won’t work out;
- That you can’t be TOTALLY yourself in business, ’cause….well, you just can’t;
- That we’re not that interesting if we’re just being, you know….ourselves;
- Etcetera. Etcetera.
To tame those voices and insecurities we try to measure up to something (or someone) we’re not.
We try to fit in, blend in, and try not to be too different from others.
As a result, we don’t really stand out. We don’t really get noticed. Which isn’t good for business.
While really ALL you have to do to stand out, is be YOU and do business in YOUR way. Which is automatically unique. Which automatically makes you stand out.
“You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” ~ John Mason
This week’s transformational action:
Here’s how to be true to yourself in business:
1) Notice when & where you hold back
For example: I used to hold back in my marketing, especially my sales copy.
2) Ask yourself why. And what do you fear will happen if you don’t?
I held back because I thought I was too outspoken and would scare people away. I feared losing clients and not making enough impact & money as a result.
3) Stop it.
Sometimes noticing why and when you hold back is enough to stop it. And sometimes you need more: a coach, program, or someone to support you.
Whatever you need to stop hiding out and holding back, DO it. It’ll make you feel better. It will make you happier. And it will make you stand out with ease & integrity.
© 2014 Brigitte van Tuijl
P.S. Don’t know what you’re good at or how to make this visible to others?
My program Unleash Your Uniqueness gives you a truckload of valuable information and exercises to uncover your (hidden) gems and share them with them with others.
You can read all about it and get started within minutes after signing up on this page: