I love Star Trek.
Whenever it was on TV, I had to see it. I loved every minute of it and still know the intro by heart:
“Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
It’s continuing mission:
To explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations.
To boldly go where no man has gone before.”
This last sentence is the reason I’m sharing this with you today.
You may not care about Star Trek at all, but that sentence is of the utmost importance to every heart-centered entrepreneur.
Your business is a tool. It is a vehicle through which you make a difference and fulfill your purpose.
Your soul’s purpose, calling, or whatever you want to call it, is unique. There is only one YOU, after all.
When you are unique, and your business is a reflection and creation of you, this automatically means your business is unique as well.
Which is great: it helps you stand out and attract clients – and you need this in today’s crowded marketplace.
BUT – even though being unique is simple (it only takes being completely true to who you really are), it’s definitely not easy.
Being unique means being different, and doing things differently.
That can be scary or difficult.
There’s no one out there you can compare yourself to.
You don’t know if you’re doing it right or what the result will be.
Some of the obstacles that can come up are:
1. You have to be willing to do things YOUR way – even if no one understands what you are doing or even criticizes it.
2. You often operate in the blind: you don’t know if people need your service or how big your audience will be – you’re the first one offering it.
3. People may think what you’re doing is weird or strange, which can make you feel lonely or not fit in.
4. There is no one-size-fits-all marketing method or business model out there, so you need to try some things and stumble and fall until you’ve found something that works for you.
5. There are no real role models for you out there – except of course the other entrepreneurs doing their own thing their own way (but you still have to figure out yours).
If you choose to be true to yourself and build a thriving, soulful business, you have no choice but to tackle these obstacles and GO for it anyway.
Which means there’s only one thing you can do:
To boldly go where no man has gone before!
© 2013 Brigitte van Tuijl