A question most of my clients have is:
How do I get everything done?
Where do I find the time and the energy to grow to the next level of my business?
One way to address this issue is to take a look at where you lose time and energy in the first place.
There are 3 common energy leaks that a lot of entrepreneurs have.
See if you recognize one or more of them:
Energy leak #1: not having clear and strong boundaries
- You work too hard and don’t take enough downtime;
- You over deliver and/or undercharge;
- You’re afraid to say ‘no’ to people, and as a result you spend a lot of time doing things you don’t want to do (and a lot of time regretting that you didn’t just say no).
The best thing to do is to get really clear on what your ideal business and lifestyle look like, and which steps you need to take to create them.
But this takes much more than I can share with you in just one article (which is why it is an entire step in my 7 step F.R.E.E.D.O.M. process to turn your purpose into a profitable business you LOVE).
For now, you can just ask yourself:
What do I tolerate that deep down I know I have to change?
Energy leak #2: your computer
- Checking your email every hour;
- Spending hours on twitter, facebook etc. (and before you know it you’ve been reading and surfing the net for an hour and you haven’t really done anything – time just flew by);
Examples of solutions:
- Set a timer every time you start surfing the net or start twittering;
- Check your email twice a day;
- Get an assistant to answer your emails.
Energy leak #3: not being aligned with your purpose
- You work hard but never feel fulfilled;
- You often wonder if this is all there is and if what you’re doing now is what you’re really meant to do;
- You often experience a feeling of emptiness, you feel a bit lost – without knowing where the feeling comes from or how to fix it.
Get clear on what your purpose is, and built your business around it.
Again, this takes much more than I can share in just this one article.
(My entire program Big Mission, Big Impact addresses the elements you need to have in place to turn your purpose into a profitable business.)
For now, this is what you can do:
First take a look at the activities that energize you and make you feel alive.
Once you figure this out, you can answer these questions:
How can I spend more time on these activities?
And how can I turn them into products and services?
This week’s Transformational Action
For the next couple of days, examine how you spend your time:
1: Write down everything you do and how much time you spend on it,
2: Write down how much you enjoyed this activity:
On a scale from 0 – 10, how much energy did this activity give you?
When you do this for a couple of days, it’s easy to see which activities energize you, and which activities drain your energy.
You now have a clear picture of your biggest energy leak.
Now you can answer this final question:
What one thing can you do or change in your business right now that will instantly give you more energy?
© 2012 Brigitte van Tuijl
Let me know what you think! You can post your comments below. Thanks!
P.S.: Do you long to fulfill your mission in a business you love? A business that fulfills and energizes you?
But you’re not sure what your mission is or how you can make money with it?
If you do, my program Big Mission, Big Impact may be just what you need.
In it, you discover and connect to the highest vision for your business, and easily get rid of the obstacles that immediately surface once you start thinking bigger…
After I’ve received your application form, we’ll schedule an interview by phone to see if this program is a perfect fit for you.
There are still a few spots available in June.
P.P.S.: Are you not sure if you want to participate in a group program or might benefit more from personal VIP – coaching?