A huge mistake I see many entrepreneurs make (and I’ve made it plenty of times myself) is this:
You SAY you want something….
but when push comes to shove, you back out.
This is a very common mistake that is a guaranteed recipe for playing too small and staying exactly where you are.
You may also have heard this phenomenon described as follows:
To have one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake.
Before you conclude that you’re not doing this, please answer these questions:
- Is EVERYTHING in your business exactly as you want it to be?
- Are you reaching your goals or at least making progress on it?
If both answers are ‘yes’, you’re OK – at least for now 😉
You can stop reading this article and move on with your day.
But if you’ve answered ‘no’ to one or both of these questions, you’d better read on and make sure if you’re having one foot on the gas and the other on the brake right now.
This is what it can look like:
You say you feel you have an important message to share, and you wish you could help more people with it.
A week later someone asks you to be a speaker at her event – which gives you the chance to share your message.
A golden opportunity but…instead of saying ‘yes!’ you say ‘no’, because:
- You don’t have enough time to prepare your talk;
- It’s too soon: you don’t have enough experience as a speaker yet, or
- You suddenly start doubting if what you have to say is something that others will actually want to hear (let alone find interesting or valuable).
Whatever reason you come up with, there’s always a deeper cause for saying no to an opportunity that comes your way:
It’s easy to SAY you want something. It’s easy to talk about it, dream about it, or visualize it.
As long as no action is required it feels nice and exciting and maybe a little bit scary, but it doesn’t get any worse than that.
But as soon as an opportunity presents itself to put your money where your mouth is, all of a sudden it becomes too real.
Every doubt, insecurity or fear you may have around this thing you say you want shows up…
This ALWAYS happens the moment an opportunity to reach your big goal comes along.
(Even thinking or dreaming bigger than you are used to will trigger every fear and doubt you have.)
And the first natural reaction we all have, is to freak out and freeze.
We back out and find a rational sounding excuse for not taking action and grabbing the opportunity that comes along.
I know what I’m talking about here. I backed out many times.
And I always came up with some very good excuses: they were so good I REALLY believed them myself.
(This is why I now recognize them instantly – my clients don’t usually fool me with their excuses 😉
I know how sensible it seems to back out when you’re scared, but in reality you’re not doing yourself any favors.
If you want to achieve your goals, you have to take action – which also means you have to welcome all opportunities with open arms, even if they scare you….
And of course, you have to recognize them first:
“Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
This week’s Transformational Action
- What do you REALLY want?
- What actions are you taking on a daily or weekly basis to reach this goal?
- What opportunity is right in front of you right now? (Entering a writing contest / signing up for a program or workshop / make a call to someone you recently met / asking someone if they want to work with you….)
- What’s your reason for not taking this opportunity? Be honest, and explore if you REALLY have no time/ money/experience etc. etc….or if you are feeling scared and uncomfortable.
- Do you REALLY want what you SAY you want? If so, take a deep breath and…take action!
Let me know what you think! You can post your comments below. Thanks!
P.S.: Do you want to have more impact, more clients and make a bigger difference with your mission?
Do you long for a breakthrough in your business?
But do you feel stuck and are you wondering what is takes to overcome this?
If you do, my program Big Mission, Big Impact may be just what you need.
In it, you discover and connect to the highest vision for your business, and easily get rid of the obstacles that immediately surface once you start thinking bigger…
After I’ve received your application form, we’ll schedule an interview by phone to see if this program is a perfect fit for you.
There are still a few spots available in June.
Don’t wait too long if you’re interested: there will not be another chance to participate soon….